The current market on nature based solutions is much saturated with conversations and dialogues surrounding carbon offsets and removals. However, nature is so much more.
Nature as a whole is a complex network of ecosystems. At Bumiterra we focus on rainforest ecosystems, and everything to do with its preservation, restoration, and regeneration. Why are tropical rainforests crucial for our biosphere?
- Trees play a vital role in absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere through photosynthesis. By planting and restoring forests, we create natural carbon sinks that capture and store large amounts of CO2. Trees store carbon in their trunks, branches, leaves, and roots, helping greenhouse gas levels back into equilibrium.
- By restoring forests, we create environments that foster the survival and flourishing of countless species, helping to protect the delicate balance of biodiversity in our ecosystems.
- Forests play a crucial role in regulating climates. They act as natural air conditioners, regulate rainfall patterns, prevent soil erosion and degradation, strengthen freshwater sources by deepening natural aquifers, and reduce the impact of extreme weather events such as floods and droughts to name a few.
- Reforestation initiatives involve local communities, providing them with opportunities for sustainable livelihoods. These initiatives can create jobs in tree planting, forest management, and eco-tourism, offering economic benefits to local residents. We can foster socio-economic development by involving communities in reforestation while preserving natural resources.
- Forests have numerous benefits for human health such as increasing healthy microbial composition in air making air quality better, providing spaces for recreational activities that promote health and mental well-being, and helps preserve soil and water quality globally which is critical for our food supply.
Indonesia is home to 17% of global biodiversity, making it one of most species rich countries, and is the third largest tropical rainforest cover in the world. However, this natural ecosystem has been subject to many forest degradation activities such as large scale agriculture, mining, and many others. Restoring nature will allow us to combat climate change, preserve biodiversity, support local communities, and create a healthier and more sustainable future.
Bring value into your business by bringing value to nature. Learn more about the Bumiterra restoration plan by contacting us at email@example.com.